Follow us on

Tenex

Tenex is a minimally invasive procedure that can help eliminate chronic tendon pain by precisely targeting and removing damaged tissue without the need for conventional surgery.

Tenex was developed at the Mayo clinic and has been shown to help tendon pain in over 85% of patients. The procedure is minimally invasive, and performed percutaneously with a micro incision that is so small it does not require stitches.

Tenex uses ultrasound imaging to identify the damaged tissue. Using the advanced TENEX MicroTip™, Dr. Sussman guides the Tenex needle into the damaged tissue preserving the healthy tendon. Unlike major open surgeries, this procedure targets and removes only the damaged tissue, stimulating healing and allowing for a more rapid return to normal activities.


When physical therapy, cortisone injections, and/or medication do not work, patients are often advised that invasive surgery is the only option for their chronic tendon pain. You don’t have to live with chronic tendon pain! Please call our office to schedule a consultation.

Conditions that can be treated with Tenex:

  • Tennis elbow / Golfer's elbow
  • Gluteal tendonitis (hip bursitis)
  • Jumper's knee / Patella tendonitis
  • Achilles tendonitis (ankle pain)
  • Plantar fasciitis (foot or heel pain)
  • Calcific deposit in the tendon
  • Calcific rotator cuff tendonitis

Tenex Video

WHY DID MY TENDON NOT GET BETTER WITH STRETCHING AND THERAPY?

In 80% of patients, tendon pain will resolve within the first 6 months using conservative treatments. The other 20% of patients report persistent, recurring symptoms and experience chronic pain. In these patients, the tendon tissue likely has been replaced with damaged degenerative tendon tissue.

The definitive treatment in these chronic cases is to remove the damaged tissue with a tenotomy or fasciotomy procedure, allowing the body to heal fully

Tenotomy and fasciotomy procedures can be successfully completed using a conventional open surgery approach or a minimally invasive surgery approach with Tenex. Tenex allows physicians to perform a minimally invasive tenotomy or fasciotomy, minimizing pain, and reducing recovery time.

HOW IS THE TENEX PROCEDURE PERFORMED?

TENEX is performed at the Good Samaritan surgical center in North Easton. The Tenex procedure requires only a local anesthetic to numb the area. You do not need general anesthesia (to be put to sleep) as you would in traditional surgery, and you will be awake during the procedure.

The Tenex MicroTip is guided through a small 2-3 mm incision to break down and remove the damaged tissue. Ultrasound imaging is used to visualize the damaged tendon.

When the procedure is completed, only a small adhesive bandage is needed to cover the point of entry. In most cases, no sutures or stitches are required.

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO RECOVER?

The Tenex MicroTip uses ultrasonic energy to precisely treat only the damaged tendon tissue, leaving the surrounding healthy tissue unharmed. Because the surrounding tissue is not disturbed there is minimal downtime and less discomfort compared to open surgery.

In most cases, Tenex patients are typically not restricted from routine activities following the procedure, and patients typically start to feel improvement in 4 weeks or less.

WHY IS THE RECOVERY SO MUCH FASTER THAN CONVENSTIONAL SURGERY?

Dr. Sussman will use ultrasound imaging to visualize and identify the specific location of the damaged tendon tissue. The damaged tissue is removed through the Tenex MicroTip needle, preserving the healthy tendon around the site of injury.

Because the surrounding healthy tissue is not disturbed there is minimal downtime compared to conventional surgery where the surgeon has to cut through health tissue to get to the damaged tendon.

IS TENEX COVERED BY INSURANCE?

Tenex was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2012. As a percutaneous tenotomy or percutaneous fasciotomy procedure, Tenex Health TX is typically covered by insurance plans.

WHY BSB/OCPN?

Not all physicians performing ultrasound-guided procedures are adequately trained, and the Tenex procedure is only as good as the doctor performing it.

It is important that your physician has training in advanced-imaging placement. Dr. Sussman has the distinction of serving as an educational consultant for Tenex, training other physicians in the procedure. Dr. Sussman has also performed more Tenex procedures than any other physician in New England.

WHY BSB/OCPN?

Not all physicians performing ultrasound-guided procedures are adequately trained, and the Tenex procedure is only as good as the doctor performing it.

It is important that your physician has training in advanced-imaging placement. Dr. Sussman has the distinction of serving as an educational consultant for Tenex, training other physicians in the procedure. Dr. Sussman has also performed more Tenex procedures than any other physician in New England.